Wednesday 20 September 2017
(Ventures-Africa 06/20/13)
VENTURES AFRICA – Dr. Donald Kaberuka, President of the African Development Bank (AfDB), and Prof. David Malone, Rector of United Nations University (UNU), have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to foster research and knowledge exchange on sustainable development in Africa. According to an official statement, the MOU was signed on June 5 after the Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD V), which held in Yokohama, Japan, from June 1-3. The AfDB-UNU partnership aims to strengthen collaboration between Japan and African countries to strengthen Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) in Africa. The AfDB and UNU will contribute to the establishment of a joint Africa–Asia strategic plan for sustainable development and a joint program of activities for capacity building in...
(Libya Herald 06/20/13)
The Deputy Minister of the Economy, Dr Abdelkarem Mgeg, was unable to attend yesterday’s roundtable ahead of September’s Foreign Direct Investment Libya Focus conference, after failing to get a visa to travel to the UK in time. The UK visa regulations have been tightened recently but attendees at the FDI Libya 2013 roundtable conference on the future of Libya’s economic progress claimed they were shocked that even a government minister could not get a visa. The co-chair of FDI Libya, Michael Thomas, told the Libya Herald: “Visa issues seem to be a continual thorn in the side and, for some reason or other, are creating problems for genuine applicants to the detriment of British business.” Thomas said: “I believe the...
(Libya Herald 06/20/13)
World Refugee Day is being celebrated for the second time in Libya. This morning hundreds of internal displaced and refugee children took part of the marathon in Furusiya organised by the United Nations High Commissioner for the Refugees. The celebration will continue in the afternoon at the King’s Palace when the UNHCR is due to receive with the acting president of General National Congress, Juma Ateega, and Deputy Prime Minister Awad Al-Barasi, along with other officials. Members of the diplomatic community are expected to attend the event. This will be followed by a reception at the palace, hosted by the Department of Antiquities in Tripoli. During the ceremony attendees at training course on forced migration in Libya, held yesterday at...
(Alarabiya.net 06/20/13)
Two former top associates of Libya’s Muammar Qaddafi were acquitted on Monday of wasting public money but remained in jail as part of a bigger investigation involving his spy chief and one of his sons. Ex-Foreign Minister Abdel-Ati al-Obeidi and Mohammed Zwai, former head of the legislature, were accused of wasting funds by facilitating a $2.7 billion compensation payment to families of those killed in the 1988 Lockerbie plane bombing. It was the first trial verdict on officials close to Qaddafi, who was overthrown and then killed in a 2011 uprising. Libya’s new rulers are keen to try his family members and loyalists to draw a line under his 42-year dictatorship, but human rights activists fret a weak central government...
(The Tripoli Post 06/20/13)
Dr Al Amin El Habib, Libya’s Minister of Culture and chairperson of the Local Council of Sabratha, and UNESCO’s Representative in Libya, have been invited by the Local Council of Sabratha to the presentation ceremony of awards to 25 former combatants and civil society members. These citizens will be rewarded for successfully contributing in seizing the smugglers, and returning to the UNESCO World Heritage archaeological site of Sabratha the stolen artefacts, among which the two statues heads, that had been looted in March 2013. In its work to prevent and fight against the illicit trafficking in cultural property, UNESCO seeks to involve civil society, reflecting the realisation that efforts to stop such trafficking can only succeed if they are carried...
(Alarabiya.net 06/19/13)
A lawyer for Saif al-Islam Qaddafi, the son of the ousted Libyan dictator Muammar Qaddafi, has accused the authorities in his country of showing a "blatant disregard" for the international criminal court (ICC) by announcing they will put him on trial in August. In an urgent submission to the Hague-based court, the British lawyer John Jones asked appeal judges to reject Libya's request to suspend an order that Tripoli surrender Qaddafi to the court. Libyan officials are appealing against the international court's right to try Muammar Qaddafi's erstwhile heir apparent, saying he should face justice at home, but the international court says Tripoli cannot give him a fair trial. Jones says Qaddafi could be executed in Libya before the appeal...
(Libya Herald 06/19/13)
Lawyers for Justice in Libya (LFJL) is concerned by the increase in attacks on judges and lawyers in Libya after a senior judge from Bayda, Mohammed Naguib, was shot dead in a drive-by shooting in front of the local courthouse last Sunday. LFJL would like to extend its condolences to the family of Justice Naguib, and calls for an investigation into his death. This marks the third assassination of a judge in Libya, including Justices Murad Alarouby in Tripoli and Gumma Aljawi in Benghazi. Earlier this month, lawyer and human rights activist, Hanan Al-Newaisery, and her father and children’s rights activist, Mustafa Al-Newaisry, were assaulted and beaten in front of Misrata’s Zarouk courthouse. Mr. Al-Newaisry was then kidnapped and further...
(Libya Herald 06/19/13)
The General National Congress (GNC) has set next Tuesday 25th June as the date for the election of its new head. The GNCs was due to vote to choose a new president to replace Mohamed Magarief last Sunday 16th June. However, this was postponed following a request from a dozen Congress members from Benghazi, who were still in Benghazi in the aftermath of the security crisis there. According to some Congress members who did not want to be identified, the likelihood is that the next president “will be from the East”. The reason given is the need to reassure eastern Libya that it is valued and appreciated. The current security crisis in Benghazi is seen to have reinforced this view...
(Voice of America 06/19/13)
NEW YORK — A senior United Nations diplomat says Libya continues to face a difficult transition from the regime of Moammar Gadhafi, whose 42-year rule ended in 2011. Tarek Mitri, the United Nations special representative for Libya, told the U.N. Security Council the risks in Libya should not be underestimated. But he added that the opportunities in that country should not be overlooked. Mitri, the Lebanese-born head of the U.N. Support Mission in Libya, said the Libyan elections last year to the General National Congress may have led people to think the road to democracy would be simple. “As important as these elections in July 2012 may have been in ushering in the beginnings of a new political process and...
(Voice of America 06/19/13)
WASHINGTON, DC — In June, Japan made a five-year commitment of $32 billion dollars in public and private funding to Africa. It will be used in areas prioritized as necessary for growth by the Fifth Tokyo International Conference on African Development (or TICAD). Japan’s new pledge is nearly four times larger than its last commitment to the group. The plan of action is ambitious. Japanese funds will help in a number of areas, including trade, infrastructure, private sector development, health and education, good governance and food production. Boosting agricultural production. TICAD wants African agriculture to grow by five percent a year and double the output of one crop that’s also a main food source and cultural symbol for Japan: rice...
(Libya Herald 06/19/13)
Members of Derna Local Council have gone on strke in protest at the assassination of a local prominent judge on Sunday and at what they say is the government’s dereliction of its duties towards the town. “Derna’s 23 local council members have suspended their memership because of assassination of Judge Najib Mohamed Huwaidi and of government neglect of Derna,” the deputy leader of Derna Local Council, Omar Abu Khatwa, has told the Libya Herald. The government had so far taken no action in response to the assassination of the judge, Abu Khatwa stated. Furthermore, no funding had been provided to the council by the government from January 2012 until June 2013. This, he said, caused problems and sparked anger among...
(Reuters (Eng) 06/19/13)
(Reuters) - Abdul Basit Haroun says he is behind some of the biggest shipments of weapons from Libya to Syria, which he delivers on chartered flights to neighboring countries and then smuggles over the border. After fleeing Libya in his 20s, Haroun established himself as a property developer in Manchester. After about two decades in the British city, he returned to Libya in 2011 to fight in the revolution, where he became a prominent rebel commander. He says he sends aid and weapons to help Syrians achieve the freedom he fought for during the Libyan revolution. The first consignment of weapons was smuggled into Syria aboard a Libyan ship delivering aid last year, Haroun says, but now containers of arms...
(Libya Herald 06/19/13)
The first Turkish navy ship to enter Libyan waters since 1911, when the Ottomans lost what became Libya to the Italians, docked yesterday in Tripoli harbour. The frigate, TCG Heybeliada, arrived yesterday morning on a visit designed to promote Turkish-Libyan naval ties, including support for the Libyan navy. The visit also celebrates the 500th anniversary of the world map drawn in 1513 by Ottoman admiral and cartographer Piri Reis and is part of North Africa tour to mark it. As well as Tripoli, the frigate is visiting ports in Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco and Algeria. It arrived from Alexandria. At a press conference on board yesterday, attended by members of the Libyan navy, Turkish navy officers spoke both of the relations...
(BBC News Africa 06/18/13)
Two senior Libyan officials have been acquitted of "squandering public funds" by agreeing to pay $2.7bn (£1.7bn) in compensation to victims of the 1988 Lockerbie bombing. Former Foreign Minister Abdul Ati al-Obeidi and former General people's Congress head Mohamed al-Zway have been on trial since September 2012. Col Muammar Gaddafi agreed to pay the compensation in 2003. These are the first verdicts against his officials since he was ousted. The judge did not explain the reasons for the acquittal, says the BBC's Rana Jawad in Tripoli. One of Mr al-Zway's relatives told the BBC the verdict showed that Libya had a fair judiciary. "I'm happier with the judiciary than I am at the verdict," he said. State prosecutor Sidiq al-Sour...
(Libya Herald 06/18/13)
APR Energy, a global leader in fast-track power, said it has been awarded the single largest contract by the Libyan government in the fast-track power industry following a 200MW expansion of its original 250MW contract. The expansion, which brings the contracted total generation capacity to 450MW, supplements the 250MW of mobile gas turbines originally contracted, said a statement from the Florida-based company yesterday. The turnkey power solution will help cover anticipated power demand during the critical summer high heat season, as well as provide interim power while the country continues to rebuild and improve its infrastructure, the statement continued. Libya’s Electricity Minister Ali Muhairiq had confirmed at the May 20th press conference that Libya had increased its order and had...
(Libya Herald 06/18/13)
Reports that troops had been airlifted to Kufra to deal with a problems there have been denied by the spokesperson of Kufra military zone, Mukhtar Ibrahim. He told the Libya Herald the troops stationed in the town were Special Forces from Benghazi and that they were doing a good job securing it. Rather than sending in troops, forces are being withdrawn from Kufra, according to a member of the General Staff’s media office, Hassan Al-Fandi. The Libya Shield Battalion No 7 had pulled out, he told the Libya Herald, following Congress passing Resolution No. 53 on 9 June accepting Major General Yousef Mangoush’s resignation as Chief of Staff and ordering the government to close all brigades not part of the...
(AFP (eng) 06/17/13)
A Libyan court acquitted two former aides of slain dictator Moamer Kadhafi on Monday of charges connected to the deadly 1988 bombing of a US airliner over Lockerbie, Scotland. But the two remain, however, in detention in connection with a separate case involving their role in repressing the 2011 rebellion against the slain dictator's regime, a prosecution official said. "On behalf of all people, the court decides to acquit Abdelati al-Obeidi and Mohamed Belgassem al-Zwai of all charges against them," the judge said to shouts of "Long live justice!" from the defendants' families, an AFP journalist witnessed. In 1988, a bomb struck Pan Am flight 103 over Lockerbie killing 270 people in the air and on the ground. Kadhafi's regime...
(AFP (eng) 06/17/13)
Seif al-Islam, the son of slain Libyan dictator Moamer Kadhafi, and other former top regime officials will stand trial in August for crimes committed during the 2011 uprising, an aide to the prosecutor said on Monday. Former spy chief Abdullah al-Senussi will be among those whose trial will begin in the first half of August, said Al-Seddik Al-Sur, a member of the prosecutor's office. They are accused of "crimes committed against the Libyan people during the revolution" of 2011 that toppled Kadhafi's regime, and other charges, he said. Baghdadi al-Mahmudi, the last prime minister to serve under Kadhafi, and Mansur Daw who headed the People's Guard will also be among those to stand trial, he added. Asked if they will...
(Libya Herald 06/17/13)
The International Criminal Court has postponed its demand that Libya hand over Qaddafi’s security chief and brother-in-law, Abdullah Al-Senussi for trial in the Hague on human rights charges. The ICC judges acted after Libya filed a further challenge to the court’s decision that Senussi was not capable of receiving a fair trial here, and that the Libyan authorities had not been able to mount a proper investigation into the allegations against him. However just over fortnight ago, the ICC rejected a similar appeal from Libya over the court’s insistence that Qaddafi’s son, Saif Al-Islam be surrendered to its jurisdiction. As one lawyer commented this morning: “If the court does not think Saif’s trial is being properly handled by the Libyan...
(AFP (eng) 06/17/13)
Libya's premier was due to meet local authorities in Benghazi on Sunday, a government source said, as special forces units patrolled the city a day after clashes with gunmen killed six soldiers. Prime Minister Ali Zeidan was due to travel to the eastern city with members of his government to discuss the security situation, the source said on condition of anonymity. An onlooker in Benghazi told AFP that "special forces soldiers have been deployed in the city and patrolled the streets, which are calm again". Amid the trouble and its aftermath, Libya's highest political authority, the General National Congress, postponed a vote to choose a replacement for its head, Mohamed al-Megaryef. Megaryef resigned on May 28 after the GNC adopted...

Pages