Italy launches rescue operation after migrant boat sinks, three dead
ROME | Thu Oct 3, 2013 (Reuters) - The Italian coast guard launched an operation to rescue scores African migrants on Thursday after at least three drowned when their boat sank off Sicily, officials said. A coast guard official said 60 people had been saved but more than a hundred remained in the water and the death toll was expected to rise. Those rescued came from sub-Saharan Africa, the mayor of the Sicilian island of Lampedusa said. Their boat sank off the island just four days after 13 migrants drowned when their boat foundered off eastern Sicily.