Tuesday 21 November 2017
(Nigershowbiz 03/12/13)
Nigeria’s external trade index decreased by 4.3 per cent to about N28 trillion in 2012 compared to about N29 trillion in the previous year, the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) has said. Despite the decrease in the value of trade recorded by the country, it recorded visible trade surplus as the value of export exceeded imports in the period under review. The NBS, in its Foreign Trade Statistics, which was released yesterday, said the change in external trade index was caused by a 43.1 per cent decrease in the value of imports which fell to about N5.6 trillion in 2012 from about N9.8 trillion the preceding year. However, the value of exports increased by 15.5 per cent to N22.4 trillion...
(Nigerian Tribune 03/12/13)
A 53- year old grandmother, has been apprehended at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport (NAIA), Abuja. She was arrested at the weekend by operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) following the discovery and seizure of 1.00kg of white powdery substance that tested positive for cocaine hidden inside her hair. According to a press statement issued by the spokesman for the anti-drugs agency, Mr. Mitchel Ofoyeju stated that the suspect, Giwa Ayoka Sikirat concealed the drug in her beautiful hair style while trying to board an Ethiopian airline Flight ET 910 to Pakistan enroute Addis Ababa and Dubai. Also, NDLEA Abuja Airport commander, Mr Hamisu Lawan, said that the suspect who attempted smuggling the drug to Pakistan was...
(Nigershowbiz 03/12/13)
The Supreme Court, Abuja, and the various divisions of the Federal High Court across the country were, yesterday, shut down by striking judicial workers under the aegis of Judiciary Staff Union of Nigeria, JASUN. At the Supreme Court, the Chief Justice of Nigeria, CJN, Justice Mariam Mukhtar and other Justices of the Supreme Court, were locked out of their offices by the striking workers. Activities were also paralysed at all the federal courts in Abuja in protest of what the workers described as “inhumane working conditions.” Locked Similarly, Federal High Court divisions in Delta, Lagos and Sokoto states, among others, were also shut by the striking workers. In Abuja, the striking workers stormed the Appeal and Federal High Courts in...
(Nigerian Tribune 03/12/13)
The presiding judge, Justice Adamu Bello, did not sit, as courts in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) were deserted, as judiciary workers stayed away from their offices. No new date was communicated for the delivery of the judgment. The strike also paralysed activities at Federal High Courts throughout the country, as members of JUSUN commenced nationwide strike. This is just as judges at the Federal High Court sitting in Lagos took cases as scheduled, as members of the union in the state did not join the strike. The national president of JUSUN had, while calling for the strike, said the union reached an agreement with the Federal Government in 2009 on the increase of their minimum wage from N17,000 to...
(The Sun 03/12/13)
A video posted online claims to show the bodies of at least some of the seven foreign hostages believed killed by Islamist extremist group Ansaru following their abduction in Nigeria. The grainy and silent video posted on YouTube, and seen by AFP yesterday, appears to show at least four victims. The images matched screenshots released at the weekend along with the claim that the hostages had been executed after their abduction last month. The 91-second video was titled in Arabic “the death of the seven Christian hostages in Nigeria,” while an English statement announcing the executions was copied in below. It first showed what appeared to be four bodies on the ground next to a man standing with a rifle...
(The Sun 03/12/13)
The House of Representatives Committee on Public Account yesterday queried the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) and the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) over the discrepancy of N7.935 billion in the funds generated and remitted to the Federation Account in 2007. The committee also sought for explanation in the delay for five months in the remittance of N14.210 billion import duty lodged into CBN Port Harcourt by the Customs Area Command. The money was generated in August 2006, but was not transferred to the Federation Account until January 2007. Speaking when the Accountant-General of the Federation, Auditor-General of the Federation, CBN officials led by the Deputy Governor , Mr Tunde Lemo, Customs and FIRS officials...
( 03/12/13)
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that at least five million farmers nationwide will be registered in this year’s Growth Enhancement Support (GES) scheme, according to the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development. NAN also reports that 207 enumerators have already been trained for the effective take off of the programme in Plateau. Mr Samuel Dung, the Manager, Plateau Agricultural Development Programme (PADP), told NAN that only registered farmers would benefit from the scheme. Dung said that added that awareness and enlightenment campaigns were being carried out to encourage farmers to register. He urged farmers who did not register in the 2012 exercise to take advantage of the current exercise to get the maximum benefit of the programme...
(Ventures Africa 03/12/13)
VENTURES AFRICA – South Africa’s Standard Bank Group has disclosed its Nigerian unit, Stanbic IBTC Plc, contributed 21 per cent to its Africa earnings (South Africa not inclusive) for the financial year ended, December 31, 2012. Exempting Standard Bank’s South Africa earnings, the group made R1.8 billion ($0.216 billion) as total earnings from 17 African countries. Chris Newson, Standard Bank Group CEO Africa, told THISDAY at the presentation of the financial institution’s 2012 financial results that Nigeria is a ‘key’ market for the group. “You remember that we have about 49 percent shareholders in Nigeria and the type of contribution as announced by Stanbic IBTC as a listed entity in Nigeria, effectively and 50 percent of that is included in...
(Voice of America 03/11/13)
The Nigerian militant group known as Ansaru says it has killed seven foreign hostages it kidnapped last month in Nigeria's northern Bauchi state. The Nigerian radical group, known by its nickname Ansaru, says it killed seven hostages in retaliation for what it said were British and Nigerian plans to rescue them, referencing local media reports. A silent video posted to YouTube purports to show the hostages' bodies. Four bodies are seen at a slight distance, while three are seen in graphic close-up shots. The body of one man appears to have an eye missing. The Nigerian government has remained silent on the report. But European officials are saying the hostages were killed. Four of the hostages were Lebanese, one was...
(Voice of America 03/08/13)
ABUJA — Nearly a month after nine health workers in Nigeria were slaughtered as they prepared to administer polio vaccinations, the polio eradication program remains at a standstill in Kano, a state health officials call the epicenter of the disease. Officials say other polio vaccination programs in Nigeria are operating and they are working to beef up security to assure hundreds of health workers it is safe again to give vaccinations. At a church in the Nigerian capital, residents of northern Nigeria tell horror stories about how they survived militant attacks in their hometowns, and how others did not. Pastor Sarana Chinda, from Kano state, says one of the many sad results of insecurity is that children in Kano are...
(Voice of America 03/08/13)
MAIDUGURI, NIGERIA — Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan said he was not ready to offer an amnesty to members of Islamist militant sect Boko Haram, brushing aside a proposal from the country's most senior Muslim spiritual leader. Jonathan spoke on his first state trip to the northeastern region worst hit by the group's more than three-year insurgency - the Christian southerner has been widely criticized for not visiting sooner. "I cannot talk about amnesty with Boko Haram now until they come out and show themselves,'' Jonathan told reporters in Yobe state capital Damaturu, a town regularly hit by the sect's guerrilla-style bomb and gun attacks. Muslim leader the Sultan of Sokoto suggested this week members of Boko Haram - who currently...
(AL Jazeera 03/07/13)
Twenty fighters killed in assault on army base, official says as group's leader allegedly rejected peace talks on video. Nigerian security forces say they have killed 20 members of the Boko Haram armed rebel group in the northeast of the country, after the fighters attacked a military base there. Sunday's attack in the village of Monguno in Borno state followed an unverified video by Abubakar Shekau, the leader of the Boko Haram, was circulated rejecting peace talks with the government and saying attacks will continue. "Whoever kills any of our member should await a grave retaliation from us," said Shekau in the undated video. "We will continue waging war against them until we succeeded in establishing an Islamic state in...
(Reuters (Eng) 03/07/13)
Nigeria cannot grant amnesty to Islamist sect Boko Haram until its members come out from the shadows, President Goodluck Jonathan said on Thursday, on his first state visit to the northeastern region worst hit by the group's insurgency. Jonathan has been criticized for not going sooner to Yobe and Borno states, where hundreds have died since Boko Haram intensified its conflict with security forces two years ago. "I cannot talk about amnesty with Boko Haram now until they come out and show themselves," Jonathan told reporters in Yobe state capital Damaturu, a town regularly hit by the sect's guerrilla style bomb and gun attacks. Nigeria's Muslim spiritual leader, the Sultan of Sokoto, suggested this week members of Boko Haram should...
(News Day 03/06/13)
ABUJA — Royal Dutch Shell may be forced to shut down “completely” its 150 000 barrel per day (bpd) Nembe Creek oil pipeline in Nigeria due to persistent thefts, the company’s local unit said yesterday. The Nembe trunkline is one of the most important production routes for Africa’s top crude oil exporter, feeding the benchmark Bonny Light export terminal. The pipeline was replaced in 2010 at a cost of $1,1 billion, Shell says. But criminal gangs tap into exposed pipelines in the winding creeks and waterways in the Niger Delta. Some of the crude is refined locally, but the majority is transferred onto larger ships offshore and sold internationally. Oil theft also has a devastating environmental impact, destroying fishing communities...
(Voice of America 03/04/13)
Nigerian security forces say they killed 20 Islamist militants while repelling an attack on a military base in the country's northeast. Army spokesman Sagir Musa says Sunday's attack occurred in the village of Monguno, some 200 kilometers from the city of Maiduguri. He says those killed were Boko Haram militants who attempted to raid the military barracks there sparking a firefight which resulted in the 20 deaths. The spokesman did not mention any civilian or military casualties. Boko Haram began violent operations in 2009, and it has killed an estimated 3,000 people in attacks on churches, schools, government and newspaper offices, security forces, markets and the local United Nations headquarters. Some Boko Haram members say they to want to enforce...
( 03/01/13)
A Nigerian court ruled on Friday that President Goodluck Jonathan can run for office again in 2015, rejecting his opponents' complaints that he has already reached the constitutional limit of two terms. An increasingly bitter battle is raging between Jonathan's supporters and opponents over whether he should run for office in 2015, in what analysts say is a distraction from such urgent tasks as fixing the power sector and passing crucial oil legislation. The president has declined to say whether or not he wishes to rule Africa's top oil and gas producer again, although most pundits expect him to run. Jonathan first took power in May 2010, after the death of then president Umar Yar'Adua, ending a six-month political crisis...
( 03/01/13)
A Nigerian court ruled on Friday that President Goodluck Jonathan can run for office again in 2015, rejecting his opponents' complaints that he has already reached the constitutional limit of two terms. An increasingly bitter battle is raging between Jonathan's supporters and opponents over whether he should run for office in 2015, in what analysts say is a distraction from such urgent tasks as fixing the power sector and passing crucial oil legislation. The president has declined to say whether or not he wishes to rule Africa's top oil and gas producer again, although most pundits expect him to run. Jonathan first took power in May 2010, after the death of then president Umar Yar'Adua, ending a six-month political crisis...
(Business News 02/27/13)
France won’t negotiate with the militant Islamist group Boko Haram that kidnapped seven French citizens including four children last week, French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said today. “We will use all means possible to ensure the liberation of the hostages,” he said on RTL radio. “But we won’t take part in this bidding war because it’s terrorism we are dealing with here. This is the first time we have children taken hostage. It is an unacceptable situation.” French Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault said yesterday that the hostages are probably held in Nigeria by Boko Haram. A video posted yesterday on YouTube showed what appeared to be the French hostages sitting on the floor, including children aged between five and...
( 02/27/13)
Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan approved on Tuesday a 4.99 trillion naira ($31.63 billion) budget passed by parliament, the presidency said, ending two months of dispute over the spending plans. Jonathan presented the budget to the national assembly in October but lawmakers increased spending and reduced the amount of oil revenues Africa's largest producer would save by the time they passed the budget in December. Spending has risen from 4.92 trillion proposed by Jonathan's team, which is led by Finance Minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, who has been praised by economists for her fiscal prudence. But parliament usually wins budget disputes. "Following consultations and an agreement between the Executive and the Legislature on the 2013 Appropriation Bill, President Goodluck Jonathan today signed the...
( 02/26/13)
Britain advised its citizens on Wednesday against travelling to several regions in northern Nigeria, after an increase in attacks blamed on Islamist militants and the abduction of several foreigners earlier this month. Gunmen killed a security guard and abducted a Briton, an Italian, a Greek and four Lebanese workers after storming the compound of Lebanese construction firm Setraco in Bauchi state on February 16. It was the worst case of foreigners being kidnapped in the mostly Muslim north of Africa's most populous country since an insurgency by Islamist militants intensified two years ago. Britain upped its travel risk ratings on Wednesday, advising against any travel to Bauchi state and Okene city in southern Kogi state where militants last month attacked...

Pages