| Africatime
Wednesday 24 August 2016
(AFP (eng) 08/23/16)
Two people were killed in a machete attack in an eastern region of Democratic Republic of Congo late Monday where rebels have been blamed for a series of civilian massacres, the army said. The Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), a partly Islamist armed group of Ugandan origin, is accused of carrying out the brutal slayings, the latest of which took place overnight August 13-14 and left 51 people dead. Lieutenant Mak Hazukay, an army spokesman in North Kivu province, told AFP that on Monday evening the ADF had entered the town of Kiteya -- about 20 kilometres (12 miles) north of the city of Beni.
(AFP (eng) 08/23/16)
The tense DR Congo faces a nationwide shutdown Tuesday after the country's main opposition alliance refused to join talks with President Joseph Kabila's government in a stormy row over delayed presidential elections. The fractured opposition recently came together in a new coalition -- "Rassemblement" (Gathering) -- headed by veteran opposition leader Etienne Tshisekedi to demand Kabila end his 15-year rule and step down when his mandate expires on December 20. The coalition this weekend rejected an offer of all-party talks on the election that had been scheduled for Tuesday by Togo's former premier Edem Kodjo, who was asked to step in by the African Union (AU) to avoid a crisis. In a statement it also called on "the people to...
(AFP (eng) 08/22/16)
"In this stream, the fish vanished long ago, killed by acids and waste from the mines," says Lubumbashi resident Heritier Maloba, staring into the murky waters of his childhood fishing hole. Pollution caused by copper and cobalt mining has not only poisoned the Katapula, a tributary of the mighty Congo River and one of the main waterways in this second city of the Democratic Republic of Congo, but has also induced widespread illness. "High concentrations of toxic metals ... cause...
(AFP (eng) 08/20/16)
Six suspected members of a Ugandan rebel group went before a Congolese military court on Saturday accused of taking part in the killing last weekend of 51 people, the latest in a string of massacres in the restive east of the country. The gruesome slaying in the town of Beni touched off mass street protests against the government of the Democratic Republic of Congo for failing to protect the population from the armed rebel groups that plague the region. Clashes...
(AFP (eng) 08/20/16)
The government of the Democratic Republic of Congo on Friday vowed to release two dozen "political prisoners and prisoners of conscience", including two prominent detainees who were arrested last year during a workshop on good governance in Africa. Fred Bauma, 26, is a member of the LUCHA or Struggle for Change pro-democracy movement, which is based in Goma, in the restive North Kivu province in the east of DR Congo. Makwambala, 33, who is from Kinshasa, works with the Filimbi civil society group that organised the good governance workshop. They were arrested on March 15, 2015.
(AFP 08/19/16)
Maps, road signs, sat navs, Google maps -- it all makes travelling so easy. But how do you get around in a city with few street names, where buildings have no numbers? "Cross 'Death Junction' then after about 500 metres on the left, you'll see a curtain seller. Go up the path until you see a black building -- that's where I live," says Judith Koumis, giving directions to her home in Yaounde, the Cameroon capital. "It's easy," she says,...
(AFP (eng) 08/18/16)
Authorities slapped a dawn-to-dusk curfew on two northeast Congo towns Thursday, following deadly clashes over the government's failure to prevent repeated civilian massacres. Interior Minister Evariste Boshab announced the 7:00 pm to 6:00 am curfew on Butembo as well as Beni were he flew into following the massacre of 51 civilians in the town last weekend. The slaying in which victims were the latest in a string of massacres that has left more than 700 dead since 2014. The gruesome Saturday night killings prompted an angry march by hundreds of people from Butembo to Beni on Wednesday...
(AFP 08/18/16)
South Sudan's former rebel leader and ex-vice president Riek Machar has escaped to the capital of Democratic Republic of Congo following violent clashes last month, an official said Thursday. "Riek Machar is currently in DRC, in Kinshasa, and wants to go as soon as possible to Ethiopia," an aide told AFP. An earlier statement from Machar's SPLM-IO party said the leader had been "evacuated to a safe country within the region" without naming Congo. Civil war broke out in South...
(AFP (eng) 08/17/16)
A young man was shot dead Wednesday when security forces opened fire at a crowd protesting the government's alleged failure to protect civilians after a gruesome massacre in eastern DR Congo. Police and troops fired tear gas and warning shots to break up an angry protest in the town of Beni where 51 civilians were hacked to death last weekend in the latest in a string of attacks blamed on rebels. "This person was killed by a bullet to the...
(AFP (eng) 08/17/16)
Police and troops fired tear gas and warning shots to break up an angry protest Wednesday in the eastern DR Congo town of Beni, where 51 civilians were hacked to death last weekend, an AFP journalist said. Security forces stepped in after hundreds gathered in the town's main street on the last of a three-day mourning period called by civil society groups over the gruesome murder of dozens of people on Saturday night, the latest in a string of such...
(AFP (eng) 08/17/16)
Three workers with the Catholic aid organisation Caritas were released Wednesday, a day after their abduction in a troubled region of eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, the charity said. "The three Caritas-Congo workers kidnapped near Mweso have been released," said Caritas-Congo spokesman Guy-Marin Kamandji, without giving details on the circumstances of the release. The kidnap occurred in an area notorious for attacks by the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR) rebel group. The aid group had said Monday...
(AFP (eng) 08/15/16)
Civil society groups in the Democratic Republic of Congo on Monday said the number of people hacked to death in the restive east this weekend has risen to 51. "Our team on the ground has counted 51 bodies slain with machetes," said Teddy Kataliko, a member of a local alliance of NGOs and unions working in the troubled town of Beni. Local mayor Edmond Masumbuko on Sunday said 42 people had died in Saturday night's mass killing in Beni; the...
(AFP (eng) 08/15/16)
At least 42 civilians have been killed in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, a local official said Sunday, in what the government described as a massacre in revenge for military operations in the area. Three days of national mourning have been declared following Saturday night's mass killing, the latest in a series of massacres that have left more than 600 people dead in and around the troubled town of Beni since 2014. Speaking to a local radio station, Beni...
(AFP (eng) 08/14/16)
Nineteen people have been killed in clashes between police and militia in the centre of the Democratic Republic of Congo, authorities said. The dead included the leader of the militia group, Kamwina Nsapu, the governor of Kasai-Central province, Alex Kande, told public television late on Saturday. He said Nsapu was among eight militia members killed in the fighting in the town of Tshimbulu on Friday. Eleven policemen also died, Kande said. In recent weeks Nsapu has resolved to "rid Kasai-Central of the security forces, who have carried out all kinds of harassment against the population...
(AFP (eng) 08/13/16)
Six men went on trial in DR Congo on Friday accused of playing a role in the ethnic massacre of 37 people four years ago. The suspects, including four soldiers, went on trial at a football stadium in the eastern village of Mutarule, where the members of the Bafulero ethnic group were killed in June 2014. Only three of the accused were present for the two-hour hearing, with the three others still on the run and being tried in absentia. A seventh suspect has died since the massacre. Most of the victims were children and women. They were knifed and shot to death, according to prosecutors.
(Reuters (Eng) 08/11/16)
The United States on Wednesday urged the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which is cracking down on dissent before elections due in November, to allow a prominent rights activist to continue working in the country. The Congolese government on Tuesday said it had refused to renew the visa of Ida Sawyer, U.S.-based Human Rights Watch's senior researcher in the country, a move that follows expulsions of other foreign researchers in a tense election year. Sawyer, who has worked for Human...
(Voice of America 08/10/16)
The government of the Democratic Republic of Congo has blocked a human rights researcher from continuing to work in the country, in what her rights organization says is the "latest attempt to curtail human rights reporting during a period of increased government repression" there. Human Rights Watch said Tuesday that the DRC government has revoked the work permit of Ida Sawyer, a senior researcher, after renewing her three-year work permit in May 2016. Sawyer has worked in the DRC since 2008. Human Rights Watch says immigration authorities on July 3 "unexpectedly and without explanation"
(Reuters (Eng) 08/10/16)
Congolese authorities have refused to renew the visa of a prominent American human rights activist, the government said on Tuesday, a decision that follows expulsions of other foreign researchers in a tense election year. Government spokesman Lambert Mende did not say why the visa of Ida Sawyer, U.S.-based Human Rights Watch's senior researcher in Democratic Republic of Congo, was not renewed or when she would need to leave the country. Sawyer, who has worked for Human Rights Watch in Congo...
(AFP (eng) 08/09/16)
The Democratic Republic of Congo refused Tuesday to renew the visa of a senior Human Rights Watch (HRW) researcher, who was to leave the troubled African country shortly. Kinshasa did not give a reason for the decision to effectively expel Ida Sawyer, who has worked for the US rights group in DR Congo since 2008. The government's immigration service "did not want to renew the visa ... That is all," government spokesman Lambert Mende told AFP. "Some governments never give...
(The Associated Press 08/09/16)
Rebel fighters killed at least eight civilians in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo before fleeing when Congolese troops arrived, local sources said, in a region where a spike in ethnic violence has halted some aid deliveries. Hundreds of civilians have died over the past year in inter-communal violence and a series of massacres by armed groups in Congo's North Kivu province, which borders Rwanda and Uganda. Lawless eastern Congo is plagued by dozens of armed groups that prey on the...

Pages