Saturday 16 December 2017
(BBC News Africa 11/05/13)
The government of the Democratic Republic of Congo has claimed victory over M23 rebels in the east of the country. A government spokesman said the last remaining rebels had either fled across the border or surrendered and their weapons had been destroyed overnight. The M23 have not publicly commented on the claim. Kinshasa earlier rejected rebel calls for a truce. At least 800,000 people have fled their homes since the conflict began in 2012. Last week, the United Nations special envoy to DR Congo, Martin Kobler, said the group was all but finished as a military threat in DR Congo. Defeat for DR Congo's M23 rebels would send an intimidating message to at least 10 other rebel groups operating in...
(Reuters (Eng) 11/05/13)
KINSHASA | Tue Nov 5, 2013 (Reuters) - The Congolese government said its forces had driven M23 rebels from two strongholds in eastern Congo early on Tuesday, referring to bases army commanders had previously described as the group's last redoubts. "Tshanzu and Runyoni were taken by the army around 3 a.m. (0000GMT). Many M23 fighters are surrendering," government spokesman Lambert Mende told Reuters. "Militarily this is finished." Speaking hours after African leaders told the M23 rebels to renounce rebellion, Mende said the Kinshasa government expected peace talks mediated by neighbouring Uganda to resume soon.
(Voice of America 11/05/13)
NYAKABANDE, UGANDA — The United Nations says some 10,000 refugees from the Democratic Republic of Congo have crossed into Uganda since Sunday, fleeing renewed fighting between the army and the M23 rebels. Many have crossed from Bunagana, the Congolese town in Rutshuru territory where the M23 had its headquarters. The rebels withdrew from Bunagana last week, as they also withdrew from most of the other towns they were holding, without putting up much of a fight. More fighting flared Monday in the area. The U.N. refugee agency says some civilians returned to Bunagana over the weekend, but have had to flee again. Lucy Beck is the agency’s spokesperson in southwestern Uganda. "We believe probably over 10,000 people have crossed. What...
(Reuters (Eng) 11/05/13)
PRETORIA | Tue Nov 5, 2013 (Reuters) - African leaders told Congo's M23 rebels on Tuesday they must publicly declare an end to their 20-month insurgency to allow the signing of a peace agreement with President Joseph Kabila's government. The recommendation was made by heads of state from southern Africa and the Great Lakes region who met through Monday night in the South African capital Pretoria to lend their weight to an international push to end the conflict in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. Despite growing calls for peace, the M23 rebels and government forces were involved in artillery clashes on Monday near Congo's border with Uganda. Both sides blamed the other for the shelling. A statement released by the...
(Reuters (Eng) 11/05/13)
MBUZI, Democratic Republic of Congo/PRETORIA | (Reuters) - African leaders and international envoys appealed to Congo's government and M23 rebels on Monday to stop fighting and embrace a peace deal after the two sides bombarded each other near the Ugandan border. The appeals were made as United Nations and U.S. envoys said the elements of an accord to end the 20-month insurgency in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo were broadly agreed and only required public commitments to end the hostilities. A rapid Congolese army advance in recent weeks has driven the M23 rebels from towns and cornered them in the steep, forested hills along the Ugandan border, raising the prospect of peace for Congo's mineral-rich eastern borderlands. But before leaders...
(Reuters (Eng) 11/04/13)
MBUZI, Democratic Republic of Congo | Mon Nov 4, 2013 (Reuters) - Congolese troops and M23 rebels bombarded each other near the Ugandan border on Monday and international envoys called on both sides to cease fire and allow a peace deal to take hold. Congo's army accused the rebels of shelling the frontier town of Bunagana and said it showed M23's ceasefire declaration at the weekend was worthless. The rebels said they were ready to sign a peace deal but that they had been attacked with heavy weapons. A rapid army advance in the last few weeks has driven rebels from towns and cornered them in the steep, forested hills along the Ugandan border, raising the prospect of an end...
(AFP (eng) 11/04/13)
BURAY, November 4, 2013 (AFP) - Troops pounded the remaining hilltop positions of M23 rebels Monday in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo despite a truce call by the beleaguered insurgents. The Congolese army used artillery to attack an estimated 200 diehard fighters holed up in the hills after being forced from their last stronghold of Bunagana last week. A soldier told AFP reporters in Buray, about 25 kilometres (15 miles) east of the abandoned rebel base, that "exchanges of fire were ongoing between the army and the M23 in the Bunagana area". "The M23 leadership deplores the continued fighting and ongoing use of heavy weapons" by the regular army, or FARDC, the rebels said in a statement early Monday...
(Reuters (Eng) 11/04/13)
KINSHASA | Mon Nov 4, 2013(Reuters) - Congo's army accused rebels of shelling a border town on Monday and said it showed the M23 group's declaration of a ceasefire over the weekend was worthless. The rebels, however, said government forces had attacked their positions in the steep, forested hills along the Ugandan frontier with heavy weapons fire on Monday morning. "This is not fighting, it is bombs launched by M23 targeting the population of Bunagana," Congo army spokesman Colonel Olivier Hamuli said by phone. "They are targeting civilians. The call for a ceasefire was a lie," Hamuli said, adding Congo's military would pursue the rebels. The army has in recent weeks expelled M23 from towns they had occupied across eastern...
(The Associated Press 11/04/13)
KAMPALA, Uganda – Uganda's military and humanitarian workers say fighting between Congolese forces and M23 rebels intensified Monday morning, forcing thousands more Congolese to seek refuge in Uganda. Lt. Col. Paddy Ankunda, Uganda's top military spokesman, said Monday that Uganda has now deployed troops and tanks at the border after projectiles fired from Congo landed in the country. Ankunda said Uganda had protested to Congo's government after five people were wounded in at least two incidents. Lucy Beck, a spokeswoman for the U.N. refugee agency in Uganda, said the Bunagana border area has become "too dangerous" for refugees and humanitarian workers. Fighting persists despite a call on Sunday by M23's president for a cease-fire. Peace talks in Uganda are believed...
(AL Jazeera 11/04/13)
M23 leader urges all fighters to immediately end hostilities as the country's army takes over their last stronghold. Rebels in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) have called for a ceasefire days after government forces battling them in the country's east said they had driven them out of their last stronghold. Bertrand Bisimwa, leader of M23, said in a statement on Sunday that "all the forces of the Congolese revolutionary army" had been ordered to end hostilities with government troops. Bisimwa said his aim was to "allow the continuation of the political process" with the DRC in a bid to end the insurgency plaguing eastern region since April 2012. M23, so-called after a peace agreement they signed with the government...
(BBC News Africa 11/04/13)
Government forces in the Democratic Republic of Congo are attacking the last areas held by the M23 rebel group in the forested hills in the east. Hundreds of refugees are fleeing the fighting close to Congo's eastern border and crossing into Uganda. The M23 on Sunday called a ceasefire to allow peace talks with the government. It follows a string of defeats by government troops, who have driven the rebels from all towns they once controlled during a 20-month rebellion. In a statement, the M23 called on the organisers of the peace talks in neighbouring Uganda to "put in place a mechanism to monitor the ceasefire". A government spokesman said the statement was "a step in the right direction" but...
(AFP (eng) 11/04/13)
NTAMUGENGA, November 4, 2013 (AFP) - Democratic Republic of Congo's army on Monday pounded the remaining hilltop positions of M23 rebels in the country's troubled east despite a truce call by the beleaguered insurgents. Troops used heavy arms to attack the estimated 200 diehard fighters holed up in the hills after a military offensive forced them from their last stronghold last week. The fresh assault came a day after the leader of the beleaguered rebels, M23 president Bertrand Bisimwa, called for a ceasefire. "We order all the forces of the Congolese revolutionary army to immediately end hostilities with the armed forces of the Democratic Republic of Congo (FARDC)," Bisimwa said in a statement on Sunday. He said his aim was...
(Voice of America 11/04/13)
The Democratic Republic of Congo's government says a call for a cease-fire by M23 rebels does not go far enough, and is demanding the group end its revolt. M23 leader Bertrand Bisimwa said on Sunday after his fighters were pushed from one of their last remaining strongholds that he wanted the cease-fire to allow stalled peace talks with the government to go forward. Congolese Information Minister Lambert Mende told VOA that the rebels must commit to a series of steps to fully demobilize, not just enact a cease-fire. He added that with the army's recent gains, he expects the fighting will be over in a matter of days. The rebels consist of fighters who joined the Congolese army in a...
(Voice of America 11/04/13)
M23 leader Bertrand Bisimwa has called on his fighters to lay down their arms and give the peace process, which stalled recently in Kampala, a chance. Bisimwa said the Congolese army, known as the FARDC, must stop its advance in the current offensive and also return to the peace talks. He said the rebels cannot disarm without a resolution to the concerns for which it began fighting. But Congolese Information Minister Lambert Mende said the M23 must end its rebellion and present its fighters to the commission created in Kampala to demobilize them and return them to civilian life. “It is not a matter of ceasefire. What we have convened in Kampala, witnessed by the facilitator, as well as the...
(Voice of America 11/04/13)
Heads of state and governments in both the Southern African and the Great Lakes regions plan to meet in the South African capital, Pretoria, Monday, to review the security situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). The summit is organized by the Southern African Development Community (SADC) and the International Conference on the Great Lakes Region (ICGLR). It’s the follow-up to an agreement signed between the two groups last February to find ways of addressing the security challenges within the DRC. “This [summit] is a follow up to ensure that there is a full implementation of this framework [and] to review the implementation process and a way forward,” said Tanki Mothae, SADC’s director of politics, defense and security cooperation...
(Sudan Tribune 11/04/13)
Khartoum — Sudan will participate at the Summit of the Great Lakes' Countries in South Africa, scheduled during November 1-3, with a high-level delegation headed by the Vice - President of the Republic, Dr. Al-Haj Adam. The delegation accompanying the Vice - President includes the State Minister for Foreign Affairs, Salah Wansi, and the Director of the Bilateral Relations Administration at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Abdul-Mahmoud Abdul-Halim. SUNA learned that the summit will discuss a frame of cooperation for realizing peace and security in the Democratic Republic of Congo and the Great Lakes' region in general.
(The Independent 11/04/13)
We start off this week’s news roundup in the Democratic Republic of Congo where the M23 rebels on Sunday declared a ceasefire in their fight with the army, in a move they hope will advance peace talks with the government, France24 reports. “We call on the facilitator of the Kampala peace talks to immediately put in place a mechanism to monitor the ceasefire,” the rebels said in statement. There was no immediate reaction from the army, which has pushed the rebels from all the towns they once controlled during a 20-month rebellion in North Kivu province. Rebel fighters this week abandoned Bunagana, their last stronghold in the eastern province, and have withdrawn into the hills and forests around Congo’s border...
(BBC News Africa 11/04/13)
A rare solar eclipse allowing a view of the Sun that is totally or partially blocked by the Moon has taken place. It was first visible in the southern United States, before sweeping east across the Atlantic Ocean and the African continent. The US space agency, Nasa, said the greatest total eclipse occurred over the Atlantic Ocean. One of the best views was in northern Kenya, where tour companies organised trips to view a total blackout. Local myths there attribute the event to the Moon eating the Sun. Men and women from the Turkana tribe take part in a ceremony in the Sibiloi national Park in the Turkana region Men and women from the Turkana tribe in Kenya took part...
(AFP 11/03/13)
PARIS, November 3, 2013 (AFP) - President Francois Hollande on Sunday held an emergency meeting on the shock abduction and killing of two French radio journalists by armed men in northern Mali. Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius, Justice Minister Christiane Taubira and the head of France's external intelligence services agency Bernard Bajolet attended the hour-long crisis talks with Hollande to try and shed light on the double murder. Radio France Internationale (RFI) journalist Ghislaine Dupont and sound technician Claude Verlon had travelled Saturday to the northern city of Kidal to interview a spokesman for the Tuareg separatist group the National Movement for the Liberation of Azawad (MNLA), and were abducted outside his home, according to their employer. Dupont, 57, and Verlon,...
(Reuters 11/02/13)
UNITED NATIONS, (Reuters) - Rwanda, Togo and Morocco are set to circulate to U.N. Security Council members on Friday a draft resolution to defer the International Criminal Court trials of Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta and his deputy William Ruto for one year. The African Union asked the Security Council last week to postpone the trials of Kenyatta and Ruto so they can deal with the aftermath of the Nairobi mall attack by al Qaeda-linked group al Shabaab, in which at least 67 people were killed in September. Kenyatta and Ruto face charges related to the violence after Kenya's 2007 elections, in which 1,200 people died. Both deny the charges and have tried to have the cases adjourned or halted. Ruto's...

Pages