Friday 20 October 2017
(Time 08/27/13)
As fighting continues in the eastern Congo, some of the world's few remaining mountain gorillas are caught in the crossfire. Just over a year ago, Andre Bauma and his adopted daughter Ndakasi huddled together as bombs, rockets and mortars rent the air. Bauma recalls holding Ndakasi and stroking her thick, dark hair. They were by no means the only ones afraid that day; tens of thousands of families either hunkered down or fled the onslaught. What made them unique was that Ndasaki, Bauma’s “daughter,” was one of around 800 mountain gorillas remaining in the world. The thick forest canopy above the headquarters of the Virunga National Park at Rumangabo gives the impression that this natural paradise is somehow insulated from...
(Dw-World 08/27/13)
M23 rebels on Tuesday (27.08.2013) resumed attacks on the Congolese army according to local media in eastern DRC. The army, backed by a UN special brigade, is seeking to bring peace to the volatile region. The United Nations in July deployed a 3,000-soldier intervention brigade in eastern Congo, it is the first UN force ever with a mandate to actively root out rebel groups. The new brigade bolsters the largest peacekeeping mission in the world which consists of 18,000 UN personnel and has a mandate to protect civilians. On Monday (26.08.2013), the UN mission in DRC begun an investigation following the deaths of two civilians during demonstrations in Goma.DW: What exactly happened on Saturday (24.08.2013) outside the UN base in...
(Voice of America 08/27/13)
Heavy fighting last weekend between the Congolese army and M23 rebels resulted in heavy casualties on both sides. But the fighting near the North Kivu provincial capital of Goma also put civilians in the line of fire.“At least three people were killed, five others wounded, on Saturday morning when a shell landed in Ndosho. That’s a suburb of Goma. And Goma at the moment is apparently packed with civilians because more than 150,000 people have been displaced towards and around the city since the fighting started in 2012,” said Daniel MacIsaac, spokesman for the U.N. refugee agency, UNHCR. Others at a nearby displacement camp were also at risk. “Another shell fell Saturday near the Mugunga 3 camp. And that shelters...
(BBC News Africa 08/27/13)
The UN has opened an investigation into reports that its troops killed two Congolese civilians during protests in the eastern city of Goma, amid fighting with rebels. Eyewitnesses told the AFP news agency the two died on Saturday when a crowd tried to storm a UN base and said troops from Uruguay had opened fire. Uruguay has denied the allegations and blamed the Congolese police. A new UN intervention brigade is deploying to the area to tackle rebels. UN troops last week shelled rebel positions just outside Goma. There has been no official statement on how many people have died in the fighting. One local doctor has told the AP news agency he had seen 82 dead bodies, including those...
(The Herald Online 08/27/13)
The SADC community is likely to expedite the adoption of a new streamlined visa system after the regional bloc yesterday further committed itself to the introduction of the UNI-VISA system. This was the major outcome of the Ministerial Roundtable meeting that was held here at the UNWTO General Assembly yesterday. In an interview, outgoing Minister of Tourism and Hospitality Industry Engineer Walter Mzembi said the UNWTO was impressed by the stance taken by the SADC community on a facilitative visa system. “We brought in the SADC chair Dr Joyce Banda wearing the hats of the entire 14 SADC member states. “I think she had a powerful policy statement that was tabled during the Ministerial round table which surprised even the...
(Dw-World 08/26/13)
The UN has condemned attacks on civilians and UN peacekeepers in the Democratic Republic of Congo by M23 rebel fighters. It also warned of an escalation of tension in the region. After six civilian deaths in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), the United Nations envoy to the African Great Lakes region, Mary Robinson said any attacks on civilians or the UN peacekeepers, known by the acronym MONUSCO, were unacceptable. "The attacks on the town of Goma as well as on MONUSCO forces, and their tragic consequences on the civilian population already traumatized by two decades of conflict, are unacceptable," envoy Robinson said. "We must do everything to avoid an escalation of tension in the region, promote dialogue, and respect...
(Voice of America 08/26/13)
Renewed fighting in the Democratic Republic of Congo between government soldiers and M23 rebels has brought expression of concern from the United States. The two sides suffered heavy casualties in clashes Sunday north of the city of Goma. The fighting that began last week marks the first major hostilities since the army bombed M23 headquarters in July and drove the rebels several kilometers from Goma. The U.S. State Department said in a statement Sunday the United States is "alarmed" by the violence. It condemns the actions of the M23 rebels, calling on them to end hostilities and disband. The U.S. is also urging the governments in the DRC and neighboring Rwanda to use restraint to prevent further military escalation and...
(Independent Online 08/26/13)
Luanda - President Jacob Zuma, Angolan President Jose Eduardo dos Santos and Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) President Joseph Kabila agreed at a meeting in Luanda on Friday that Angola would become more involved in training the DRC military to help it bring peace to the eastern part of the country. They met as fighting between the DRC army and M23 rebels continued around Goma, capital of the DRC’s troubled North Kivu province. The three leaders also agreed that a summit should be called within weeks of the Southern African Development Community (Sadc) and the International Conference of the Great Lakes Region to discuss the outbreak of fighting and the progress of international and regional efforts to end it. Zuma...
(Reuters (Eng) 08/26/13)
Washington - The United States said on Sunday that it was alarmed by an escalation in fighting in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo between M23 rebels and Congolese soldiers, and again called on neighbouring Rwanda to stop its support for the rebels. The State Department condemned attacks by the M23 that killed at least three people in Congo's eastern city of Goma on Saturday. It also expressed concern over reports by the United Nations of shelling by the M23 into Rwanda territory. “We urgently call on (the) DRC and Rwandan governments to exercise restraint to prevent military escalation of the conflict or any action that puts civilians at risk,” State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said in a statement. “We...
(AFP (eng) 08/26/13)
The United Nations mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo said Sunday it has opened a probe after residents accused UN peacekeepers of killing two people who tried to storm its base in the restive eastern city of Goma. Martin Kobler, head of the UN's MONUSCO mission, said in a statement he "deplored" the deaths and had "asked for an investigation jointly led by DR Congo police and the MONUSCO to be opened." Witnesses said two peacekeepers from Uruguay shot dead two people Saturday who were part of a crowd attempting to storm the mission's base near the airport during a protest decrying the UN's inaction in the strife-torn region. "It was the Uruguayans who opened fire on our group...
(Reuters (Eng) 08/26/13)
WASHINGTON | (Reuters) - The United States said on Sunday it was alarmed by an escalation in fighting in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo between M23 rebels and Congolese soldiers, and again called on neighboring Rwanda to stop its support for the rebels. The State Department condemned attacks by the M23 that killed at least three people in Congo's eastern city of Goma on Saturday. It also expressed concern over reports by the United Nations of shelling by the M23 into Rwanda territory. "We urgently call on (the) DRC and Rwandan governments to exercise restraint to prevent military escalation of the conflict or any action that puts civilians at risk," State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said in a statement. "We...
(Voice of America 08/26/13)
DHL calls itself the “logistics company for the world,” providing transportation via rail, road, sea and air. And Company officials see Africa as a place where its business can boom. For that to happen, though, more international companies will need to invest in the continent and base their operations there. DHL’s Sumesh Rahavendra sees that happening. That’s one of the findings from a recent global technological conference sponsored by his company.“There’s quite a bit of evidence to that in terms of global companies starting to set up base in Africa. If you look at the likes of SAP or IBM or Hisense, which is the Chinese company, all of them are setting base in Africa and looking at how specifically...
(AL Jazeera 08/26/13)
Fighting between government forces and M23 rebels in the Democratic Republic of Congo has entered its fifth day, with both sides suffering heavy casualties, a doctor near the front line says. Dr Isaac Warwanamiza said he had seen 82 bodies since early on Sunday, 23 of whom were government soldiers, the Associated Press news agency said. The fighting in Goma, North Kivu province's largest city, has drawn UN troops from Malawi, South Africa and Tanzania who are now fighting alongside the DRC army. The 3,000-strong intervention brigade, set up by the UN Security Council in March, is entrusted with neutralising armed groups and militias in DRC's volatile east who are threatening civilians. Warwanamiza said medical services were struggling to cope...
(The Associated Press 08/26/13)
The United Nations world tourism body said Sunday it has chosen Zimbabwe to lead its Commission for Africa, the continent-wide group for tourism development for the next two years. The U.N. World Tourism Organization said that conflict-troubled Mali also joins the African tourism commission. Zimbabwe and Zambia are co-hosting the 155-nation tourism organization's summit, held every two years, at the resort of Victoria Falls on their common border. The six-day general assembly was formally opened by the two countries' presidents, Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe and Michael Sata of Zambia. The United Nations said in a statement that July 31 elections in Zimbabwe, bitterly disputed over alleged rigging, "will be respected by the assembly." Australia, Britain, Canada and the United States...
(Voici 08/26/13)
The South African government says former President Nelson Mandela remains in critical but stable condition but his condition becomes "unstable" at times. The government said the ailing anti-apartheid icon who has been hospitalized since June has shown "great resilience" and that his condition "tends to stabilize as a result of medical interventions." In the Saturday statement, President Jacob Zuma urged South Africans to continue praying for the 95-year-old former leader. Mandela is hospitalized in Pretoria. He was admitted to a hospital on June 8 for a recurring lung infection. The former president's health has worsened in recent years. He had been in and out of the hospital for much of the past year. Mandela was elected to serve as South...
(Reuters 08/24/13)
Testimony in the trial of fallen Chinese politician Bo Xilai has produced salacious details about the opulent and supposedly corrupt lifestyle of the family of the once high-flying Communist Party aristocrat. But perhaps no tidbit has attracted as much attention as the piece of exotic meat Bo's son, Guagua, brought back from a visit to Africa in 2011. The trip was paid for by entrepreneur Xu Ming, once close to the Bo family and now detained, accused of paying bribes to Bo. The mystery meat was a given by Guagua to his father, according to written testimony at the trial from his wife, Gu Kailai, a transcript of which was published by the court. Gu said she did not remember...
(BBC News Africa 08/24/13)
UN troops in the Democratic Republic of Congo have launched an offensive, shelling positions held by rebels near the eastern city of Goma. The UN was responding to shelling from M23 rebels on Goma on Thursday, a UN spokesman said. Congolese officials say five civilians in the city died. A M23 spokesman told the BBC it had not attacked the city, blaming the army for provoking the fighting. A new UN intervention brigade is deploying to the area to tackle rebels. It has a mandate to neutralise and disarm rebel fighters. Its 3,000 soldiers are joining the regular UN peacekeeping force, Monusco, which has more than 18,000 troops on the ground with a mandate to protect civilians. UN spokesman Lt-Col...
(AFP (eng) 08/24/13)
GOMA, August 24, 2013 (AFP) - Shelling killed two people in Goma Saturday, a day after a newly-formed UN force for the first time took on M23 rebels threatening the eastern Congolese city, witnesses said. It was unclear who fired the shell that smashed into Goma's western neighbourhood of Ndosho, sparking an angry reaction from residents who blocked access to vehicles. "A shell has just landed on my neighbourhood," Ndosho resident Charles Paluku told AFP on the phone, adding that two people had been reported dead as a result of the explosion. Another witness speaking on condition of anonymity provided the same death toll and said the shell had struck near Ndosho's Saint-Francois Xavier. Residents said two other shells were...
(AFP (eng) 08/24/13)
KIGALI, August 24, 2013 (AFP) - Rwanda's army has warned neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo, who it accuses of deliberate bombing over the border, that it will not stand by "indefinitely", it said in a statement late Friday. On Thursday, Rwanda accused Congolese troops of firing a rocket over the border into Bugu village, while on Friday afternoon it said five mortar bombs landed in the Rwandan villages of Bukumu, Kagezi, Kageyo and Rusura. "The RDF (Rwanda Defence Force) remains prepared to take all necessary measures to ensure the safety of the population," Rwanda's army spokesman Joseph Nzabamwita said in a statement. "Acts of provocation that endanger the lives of Rwandan citizens will not remain unanswered indefinitely," he added, but...
(Voice of America 08/24/13)
GOMA, DRC — The United Nations Intervention Brigade in the Democratic Republic of Congo, a new-style U.N. peacekeeping force with a uniquely robust mandate, has finally started fighting, the DRC government said Friday. The force of more than 3,000 troops, mainly from Tanzania and South Africa, has been in eastern Congo for nearly three months and on Thursday opened fire on the M23 rebels. This was the moment many people in eastern Congo had been waiting for, DRC government spokesman Lambert Mende said at a press conference. "I think we can simply welcome the fact that the brigade has gone into action, since yesterday. It’s a good thing, better late than never.” There were about 16,000 U.N. peacekeepers in Congo...

Pages