Tuesday 20 February 2018
(AFP (eng) 09/02/13)
Congolese troops readied Monday to seize a stronghold of M23 fighters in the resource-rich eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, but there was no sign of frontline fighting as top UN officials flew in. Troops, backed by a special United Nations force, launched a fresh assault against the M23 army mutineers late last month, with the rebels pulling back on Friday from positions around the mining hub city of Goma. There was no fighting to be heard Monday afternoon, said an AFP photographer near the frontline some 30 kilometres (20 miles) north of Goma. The lull coincided with the arrival in Goma of UN special envoy Mary Robinson. "What happened here in Goma is terrible. I'm glad that calm has returned,"...
(Reuters (Eng) 09/02/13)
GOMA, Democratic Republic of Congo | (Reuters) - Fighting erupted on Saturday between eastern Congolese rebels and the army, which said it would push on with an offensive to recapture all territory controlled by insurgents despite their call for a ceasefire. Democratic Republic of Congo's army, backed by a new U.N. brigade with an unprecedented mandate to launch attacks, has forced M23 rebels to retreat from positions they have held for months overlooking the eastern city of Goma. Some shells fired during recent fighting have landed in neighboring Rwanda, threatening to pull the small but militarily powerful country openly into the conflict. Both Congo's army and rebels have accused the other of firing the missiles. U.N. experts and Congo's government...
(Voice of America 09/02/13)
GOMA — Residents of Goma, in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, are optimistic that the withdrawal of M23 rebels from positions outside the city could bring an end to fighting in the area. The situation is still volatile, as tensions with neighboring Rwanda remain high. Days after the shelling stopped, the Virunga market in Goma is starting to shuffle back to life. It’s Sunday - a typically slow day - but many of the shops here are open. Women are folding colorful fabrics, and customers are walking through rows of used blue jeans hanging from wooden posts. Serges Chivai, a shopkeeper on the edge of the market, is just packing away the flashlights and plastic toys displayed in his...
(Voice of America 09/02/13)
JOHANNESBURG — Former South African president Nelson Mandela has been discharged from Medi-clinic Heart Hospital in the country’s capital, Pretoria, where he spent close to three months being treated for a recurring lung infection. However, his health is said to remain critical and at times unstable, and his doctors will keep providing him with intensive care at his Johannesburg home. Thuso Khumalo has more from Johannesburg. A spokesman for South African President Jacob Zuma has confirmed that Mandela left the hospital Sunday morning. Presidential spokesperson Mac Maharaj says the anti-apartheid icon is now recovering at his home in the Johannesburg suburb of Houghton. Mandela had been hospitalized since June 8. Maharaj referred to Mandela using his clan name, Madiba. We...
(Reuters (Eng) 09/02/13)
LONDON, Sept 2 | Mon Sep 2, 2013 (Reuters) - Africa-focused mining and infrastructure firm IMIC said on Monday it signed an offtake agreement with Chinese group Hebei Iron and Steel for iron ore produced from the Nkout project in Cameroon, which IMIC is in the process of acquiring. Junior miner Afferro IMIC, which is allied with African Iron Ore Group, run by Afren Plc founder Bert Cooper, says it can build the infrastructure necessary to begin production at its project in Cameroon. IMIC said the offtake agreements will be used as a vital part of financing the project through Chinese partners such as Hebei - the largest steel producer in China. A similar offtake agreement was crucial to African...
(AFP 09/01/13)
JOHANNESBURG, September 1, 2013 (AFP) - South Africa's anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela was Sunday discharged from hospital where he has been treated since June 8 for a recurring respiratory illness, the presidency said. "Former President Nelson Mandela has this morning, 1 September 2013, been discharged from the Pretoria hospital where he has been receiving treatment," said a statement. It is said his condition "remains critical and is at times unstable." An ambulance with police escort was seen arriving at his suburban home, north of Johannesburg, shortly after 0900 GMT. Officials said the 95-year-old will receive the same intensive care from his Johannesburg home. "If there are health conditions that warrant another admission to hospital in future, this will be done."...
(Voice of America 08/31/13)
GENEVA — UN aid agencies report an alarming deterioration in the security situation in the Central African Republic. The agencies reports thousands of people are newly displaced as a result of the recent increase in violence in the capital, Bangui, and elsewhere in the country. The U.N. Refugee Agency calls the Central African Republic a very frightening place. It said CAR is a world humanitarian crisis that is being vastly overshadowed by what is happening in Syria and in the Democratic Republic of Congo. In the last 10 days, the UNHCR reports a great many people have been fleeing fighting in at least two main areas of the capital, Bangui. On Thursday, it said between 5,000 and 6,000 people, including...
(Voice of America 08/31/13)
NAIROBI — The political head of the M23 rebel group in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo says its fighters are pulling back from their positions near the city of Goma, to allow for an investigation into the deadly shelling across the border into Rwanda. The rebels deny responsibility for the attack, which has raised tensions between Rwanda and the DRC. M23 chief Bertrand Bisimwa told VOA rebel fighters started to withdraw from their positions in the town of Kanyaruchinya Friday morning - a day after the latest cross-border bombing. He said the group also sent a letter to the United Nations, asking them to establish an investigation commission. “We decided from this morning to withdraw our forces from Kanyaruchinya in...
(AFP 08/31/13)
JOHANNESBURG, August 31, 2013 (AFP) - South Africa's presidency on Saturday denied reports that Nelson Mandela had been discharged from hospital and had returned to his Johannesburg home. "Madiba is still in hospital in Pretoria, and remains in a critical but stable condition," President Jacob Zuma's spokesman said in a statement, denying reports from several news organisations that he had left the facility. "At times his condition becomes unstable, but he responds to medical interventions." During Mandela's 80-plus days in hospital, the presidency through Maharaj has been the official source of information about the condition of the 95-year-old anti-apartheid icon. But updates have been infrequent and have offered few details, prompting frequent speculation. At the end of July, Zuma's office...
(Reuters (Eng) 08/30/13)
KIBATI, Democratic Republic of Congo | Fri Aug 30, 2013 (Reuters) - In their biggest success in a year, government troops in Congo occupied strategic hills overlooking the eastern town of Goma on Friday after rebel fighters withdrew. The M23 rebels, who have fought an 18-month uprising in the eastern borderlands of the Democratic Republic of Congo, said they quit the Kibati hills to allow an independent investigation into shelling that has killed civilians in Goma and the lakeside Rwandan town of Gisenyi. Rwanda has blamed Congolese forces for the shelling and said such "provocation" will not be tolerated, raising the risk that Congo's small but militarily powerful neighbor might openly intervene in a country where it has fought two...
(AL Jazeera 08/30/13)
M23 rebel chief says fighters to withdraw from frontline of fighting in country's east, as violence spikes. The M23 rebel movement in the Democratic Republic of Congo will be withdrawing troops from the frontline of fighting with Congolese and UN forces, according to the group's chief. Bertrand Bisimwa, the civilian president of M23, told Al Jazeera on Friday that his troops were withdrawing in order to allow what he called independent verifiers to enter the area of the battle to assess where shells had fallen in the nearby city of Goma and across the border in Rwanda. He denied that his troops were withdrawing because of battlefield casualties, an assertion that the government made. Bisimwa did not clarify how far...
(Reuters (Eng) 08/30/13)
GOMA, Democratic Republic of Congo | Fri Aug 30, 2013 (Reuters) - Democratic Republic of Congo's M23 rebels suspended fighting and withdrew from the frontline on Friday to allow an independent investigation into shelling that hit neighboring Rwanda, its leader said. Rwanda accused Congo on Thursday of shelling its territory and said such "provocation" would not be tolerated, raising fears of an escalation in the conflict in eastern Congo where army troops and U.N. peacekeepers have been battling the rebels. The United Nations has thrown its weight behind Congo's government, saying its peacekeepers witnessed the M23 rebels firing shells into Rwanda. "We have just asked our forces to withdraw from the Kanyaruchinya front line and cease combat so as to...
(The New York Times 08/30/13)
NAIROBI, Kenya — The escalating conflict in the Democratic Republic of Congo threatened to embroil Rwanda after a woman there was killed and her baby wounded in shelling on Thursday, Rwanda’s government said. Congolese forces with the support of a new United Nations intervention brigade are fighting rebels in the eastern part of the country near the city of Goma. The Rwandan government said Thursday that the Congolese military had deliberately shelled Rwandan territory and intended to strike Rwandan civilians. “The persistent shelling of Rwandan territory is unacceptable, as it would be to any sovereign nation,” said Louise Mushikiwabo, Rwanda’s foreign minister, in a statement. “We have remained restrained for as long as we can, but this provocation can no...
(Reuters (Eng) 08/30/13)
GOMA, Democratic Republic of Congo | Fri Aug 30, 2013 (Reuters) - Democratic Republic of Congo's M23 rebels will stop fighting and withdraw from front lines immediately to allow an investigation into shelling that hit neighboring Rwanda, their leader said on Friday. Rwanda accused Congo on Thursday of persistent shelling into its territory and said such "provocation" could no longer be tolerated as tension mounted in Congo's east where its forces, backed by U.N. peacekeepers, have been battling the rebels. U.N. peacekeepers in Congo, however, said they had witnessed shelling into Rwanda by the M23 rebels. "We have just asked our forces to withdraw from the Kanyaruchinya front line and cease combat so as to allow for an investigation into...
(Reuters (Eng) 08/30/13)
KIGALI/GOMA, Democratic Republic of Congo | (Reuters) - Rwanda accused Congo on Thursday of shelling its territory and said it would not tolerate such "provocation", raising fears that violence in eastern Congo could erupt into a regional conflict. The Democratic Republic of Congo said Rwanda's accusation was a sign Kigali wanted to intervene openly in its eastern war. Rwanda has denied accusations by U.N. experts that it covertly backs Congo's M23 rebels. The mounting cross-border tensions came as a newly-deployed U.N. Intervention Brigade, with an unprecedented mandate to crush rebel groups, entered combat alongside the Congolese army for the first time. U.N. officials accused the M23 of firing a shell into Rwanda on Thursday which killed a civilian. Congo and...
(Voice of America 08/30/13)
The government of Rwanda has accused Democratic Republic of Congo forces of shelling Rwandan territory. Rwanda said Thursday that more than 30 bombs and rockets have been fired across the border in the last week by the DRC military. It said one bomb fired Thursday morning killed a woman and seriously injured her two-month-old baby in the town of Rubavu.In a statement, it accused Congo of trying to draw Rwanda into the conflict between the DRC army and M23 rebels in the city of Goma, which sits on the Congolese-Rwandan border. Congo and a group of United Nations experts have accused Rwanda of supporting M23, an allegation Rwanda denies. The U.N. peacekeeping force in Congo, MONUSCO, said there was new...
(Reuters (Eng) 08/30/13)
UNITED NATIONS | (Reuters) - U.N. peacekeepers in the Democratic Republic of Congo have witnessed shelling into Rwanda by M23 rebels over the past week and have not observed any firing across the border by the Congolese army, the United Nations said on Thursday. Rwanda accused its Central African neighbor earlier on Thursday of persistently shelling into its territory and said such "provocation" could no longer be tolerated, after a flare-up of fighting in Congo's war-torn east. Deputy U.N. peacekeeping chief Edmond Mulet briefed the U.N. Security Council on the situation and said the U.N. mission in Congo - known as MONUSCO - has seen only M23 rebels shelling into Rwanda, according to Deputy French Ambassador Alexis Lamek. "Mr Mulet...
(Voice of America 08/30/13)
The Democratic Republic of Congo’s government has denied that its armed forces, known as F.A.R.D.C, have been launching cross-border attacks into Rwanda. Rwanda said Thursday that more than 30 bombs and rockets have been fired across the border in the last week by the DRC military.But DRC Information Minister Lambert Mende told VOA it is the M23 rebels who have been shelling Rwandan territory in an attempt to draw Rwanda into the conflict in eastern Congo in support of the M23. “I can say that at this moment since the fighting began not even a single the FARDC fire at Rwanda. We know that there are shellings from the Congo territory that are exploding in the Rwandan territory. But we...
(Reuters (Eng) 08/30/13)
PERTH | Fri Aug 30, 2013 (Reuters) - Australia's Sundance Resources (SDL.AX) expects to bring its $4.7 billion iron ore project in West Africa online by early 2018, despite the collapse of a takeover by China's Hanlong Group in April that many expected to doom the project. Giulio Casello, chief executive of Sundance, told Reuters in an interview that the company is also aiming to finalize an equity partner for the project and have off take secured by the end of the year. By early next year, Sundance expects to have selected a contractor for the development. Investors saw little hope for the future of the project when the Hanlong deal fell through, but Sundance has said it was talking...
(Reuters (Eng) 08/30/13)
JERUSALEM | (Reuters) - Israel plans to soon begin deporting migrants from Eritrea and Sudan, who number more than 50,000, back to the African continent via Uganda, officials said. Israel regards most of these Africans as illegal visitors crowding impoverished areas in search of jobs, and largely rejects the position of human rights groups that many fled their countries in search of political asylum. A statement late on Thursday from Interior Minister Gideon Sa'ar said Israel would soon begin a staged process of deporting the migrants, most of whom crossed the border with neighboring Egypt - Israel's frontier with Africa - since 2006. Sa'ar said an agreement had been reached with an African country other than Eritrea and Sudan to...

Pages