| Africatime
Sunday 28 August 2016
(AFP (eng) 08/23/16)
Two people were killed in a machete attack in an eastern region of Democratic Republic of Congo late Monday where rebels have been blamed for a series of civilian massacres, the army said. The Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), a partly Islamist armed group of Ugandan origin, is accused of carrying out the brutal slayings, the latest of which took place overnight August 13-14 and left 51 people dead. Lieutenant Mak Hazukay, an army spokesman in North Kivu province, told AFP that on Monday evening the ADF had entered the town of Kiteya -- about 20 kilometres (12 miles) north of the city of Beni.
(AFP (eng) 08/23/16)
The tense DR Congo faces a nationwide shutdown Tuesday after the country's main opposition alliance refused to join talks with President Joseph Kabila's government in a stormy row over delayed presidential elections. The fractured opposition recently came together in a new coalition -- "Rassemblement" (Gathering) -- headed by veteran opposition leader Etienne Tshisekedi to demand Kabila end his 15-year rule and step down when his mandate expires on December 20. The coalition this weekend rejected an offer of all-party talks on the election that had been scheduled for Tuesday by Togo's former premier Edem Kodjo, who was asked to step in by the African Union (AU) to avoid a crisis. In a statement it also called on "the people to...
(AFP (eng) 08/22/16)
"In this stream, the fish vanished long ago, killed by acids and waste from the mines," says Lubumbashi resident Heritier Maloba, staring into the murky waters of his childhood fishing hole. Pollution caused by copper and cobalt mining has not only poisoned the Katapula, a tributary of the mighty Congo River and one of the main waterways in this second city of the Democratic Republic of Congo, but has also induced widespread illness. "High concentrations of toxic metals ... cause...
(AFP (eng) 08/20/16)
Six suspected members of a Ugandan rebel group went before a Congolese military court on Saturday accused of taking part in the killing last weekend of 51 people, the latest in a string of massacres in the restive east of the country. The gruesome slaying in the town of Beni touched off mass street protests against the government of the Democratic Republic of Congo for failing to protect the population from the armed rebel groups that plague the region. Clashes...
(AFP 08/19/16)
Maps, road signs, sat navs, Google maps -- it all makes travelling so easy. But how do you get around in a city with few street names, where buildings have no numbers? "Cross 'Death Junction' then after about 500 metres on the left, you'll see a curtain seller. Go up the path until you see a black building -- that's where I live," says Judith Koumis, giving directions to her home in Yaounde, the Cameroon capital. "It's easy," she says,...
(AFP (eng) 08/18/16)
Authorities slapped a dawn-to-dusk curfew on two northeast Congo towns Thursday, following deadly clashes over the government's failure to prevent repeated civilian massacres. Interior Minister Evariste Boshab announced the 7:00 pm to 6:00 am curfew on Butembo as well as Beni were he flew into following the massacre of 51 civilians in the town last weekend. The slaying in which victims were the latest in a string of massacres that has left more than 700 dead since 2014. The gruesome Saturday night killings prompted an angry march by hundreds of people from Butembo to Beni on Wednesday...
(AFP (eng) 08/17/16)
Police and troops fired tear gas and warning shots to break up an angry protest Wednesday in the eastern DR Congo town of Beni, where 51 civilians were hacked to death last weekend, an AFP journalist said. Security forces stepped in after hundreds gathered in the town's main street on the last of a three-day mourning period called by civil society groups over the gruesome murder of dozens of people on Saturday night, the latest in a string of such...
(AFP (eng) 08/17/16)
Three workers with the Catholic aid organisation Caritas were released Wednesday, a day after their abduction in a troubled region of eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, the charity said. "The three Caritas-Congo workers kidnapped near Mweso have been released," said Caritas-Congo spokesman Guy-Marin Kamandji, without giving details on the circumstances of the release. The kidnap occurred in an area notorious for attacks by the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR) rebel group. The aid group had said Monday...
(AFP (eng) 08/15/16)
Civil society groups in the Democratic Republic of Congo on Monday said the number of people hacked to death in the restive east this weekend has risen to 51. "Our team on the ground has counted 51 bodies slain with machetes," said Teddy Kataliko, a member of a local alliance of NGOs and unions working in the troubled town of Beni. Local mayor Edmond Masumbuko on Sunday said 42 people had died in Saturday night's mass killing in Beni; the...
(AFP (eng) 08/15/16)
At least 42 civilians have been killed in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, a local official said Sunday, in what the government described as a massacre in revenge for military operations in the area. Three days of national mourning have been declared following Saturday night's mass killing, the latest in a series of massacres that have left more than 600 people dead in and around the troubled town of Beni since 2014. Speaking to a local radio station, Beni...
(AFP (eng) 08/14/16)
Nineteen people have been killed in clashes between police and militia in the centre of the Democratic Republic of Congo, authorities said. The dead included the leader of the militia group, Kamwina Nsapu, the governor of Kasai-Central province, Alex Kande, told public television late on Saturday. He said Nsapu was among eight militia members killed in the fighting in the town of Tshimbulu on Friday. Eleven policemen also died, Kande said. In recent weeks Nsapu has resolved to "rid Kasai-Central of the security forces, who have carried out all kinds of harassment against the population...
(AFP (eng) 08/13/16)
Six men went on trial in DR Congo on Friday accused of playing a role in the ethnic massacre of 37 people four years ago. The suspects, including four soldiers, went on trial at a football stadium in the eastern village of Mutarule, where the members of the Bafulero ethnic group were killed in June 2014. Only three of the accused were present for the two-hour hearing, with the three others still on the run and being tried in absentia. A seventh suspect has died since the massacre. Most of the victims were children and women. They were knifed and shot to death, according to prosecutors.
(Reuters (Eng) 08/11/16)
The United States on Wednesday urged the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which is cracking down on dissent before elections due in November, to allow a prominent rights activist to continue working in the country. The Congolese government on Tuesday said it had refused to renew the visa of Ida Sawyer, U.S.-based Human Rights Watch's senior researcher in the country, a move that follows expulsions of other foreign researchers in a tense election year. Sawyer, who has worked for Human...
(The Associated Press 08/09/16)
Rebel fighters killed at least eight civilians in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo before fleeing when Congolese troops arrived, local sources said, in a region where a spike in ethnic violence has halted some aid deliveries. Hundreds of civilians have died over the past year in inter-communal violence and a series of massacres by armed groups in Congo's North Kivu province, which borders Rwanda and Uganda. Lawless eastern Congo is plagued by dozens of armed groups that prey on the...
(The Associated Press 08/06/16)
The World Health Organization and its partners shipped more than 6 million yellow fever vaccines to Angola in February to quash an emerging epidemic, yet when they asked country officials the following month what happened to the vaccines, they discovered that about 1 million doses had mysteriously disappeared. Of the shipments that did make it to Angola, some vaccines were sent to regions with no yellow fever cases, while others arrived at infected areas without syringes. In neighboring Congo, some...
(Xinhuanet 08/04/16)
At least 7,900 South Sudanese refugees have in the last two weeks fled to Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo), local authorities said Wednesday. The authorities said the South Sudanese refugees, who had fled recent fighting in their country, sought shelter in Aru territory within Ituri province, eastern DR Congo. The source added that the refugees were mostly comprised of children, women and the elderly persons coming from Juba, Morobu and Yei territories in South Sudan. The local authorities have...
(Le Potentiel Online 08/02/16)
Des bataillons entiers des troupes loyalistes sont désormais déployés aux alentours du grand centre d’Oïcha. Mais aussi et surtout dans la chefferie de Bashu pour tenter de déloger une fois pour toute les ADF/Nalu de leurs derniers retranchements. La nuit du 31 juillet 2016 n’a pas du tout été paisible pour la population d’Oïcha. Les ADF/Nalu ont une fois de plus tenté de faire une incursion dans la cité. Ils se sont heurtés à une résistance de l’armée loyaliste. Sous...
(Voice of America 07/30/16)
The president of the African Wildlife Foundation has called on African governments to urgently address the issue of poaching, which he said is depriving the continent of its resources. But Zimbabwe says the international ban on the sale of ivory — which was imposed to discourage poaching — is hurting its interests. Winding up a five-day visit to Zimbabwe on Friday, Kaddu Sebunya said poaching is depleting Africa of its vital natural resources in the same way the slave trade...
(AFP (eng) 07/29/16)
Tens of thousands of people rallied in Kinshasa on Friday in support of Congolese President Joseph Kabila just two days after his leading opponent returned home to a massive welcome. Political tension is high in the country as the opposition fears that Kabila, whose mandate ends in December, will delay elections in a bid to cling on to power. "We came here to affirm our support for Joseph Kabila," Aubin Minaku, secretary general of the ruling majority and president of the national assembly, told a crowd estimated at over 40,000, an AFP correspondent at the scene reported.
(African arguments 07/28/16)
Bemba was in jail for the 8 years during his trial at the ICC. He should be sentenced to time already served so he can return to the DRC where his leadership is needed, argues Hank Cohen. Jean-Pierre Bemba was vice-president of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) from 2003 to 2006. He is the popular political leader of the Congo’s Equateur Province in the country’s northwest, an area the size of France. Between 1998 and 2002, the DRC...

Pages